According to NSF, “transformative research involves ideas, discoveries, or tools that radically change our understanding of an important existing scientific or engineering concept or educational practice or leads to the creation of a new paradigm or field of science, engineering, or education. Such research challenges current understanding or provides pathways to new frontiers.” Transformative Research:
- Revolutionalizes current scientific paradigms;
- Improves the social and political capital of nations by adopting new research paradigms
- Innovates the existing fields of study through paradigms shifts in research
- Articulates in new and meaningful ways theory and practice for a sustainable education.
- Challenges traditional/conservative research paradigms
- Reframes the boundaries of research and knowledge
- Advances research from multiple perspectives and connect it to practice
- Promotes participatory research
- Stimulates action research.
To transform poverty-stricken places across the globe into a place of great wealth, economic opportunities, harmonious religious and ethnic co-existence, innovative technology, globally competitive economies, enviable inventions (a true global breadbasket), policy makers and educators must be ready to shun a Victorian Age education system which is already antiquated, and instead embrace creative, critical, problem-solving, and project-based instructional strategies which are catalysts to groundbreaking inventions, sound economic growth, and globally